Homemade Hand Sanitizer Recipe: Ingredients and Tips
Making hand sanitizer at home probably seems like a complicated process. You think: I need chemicals or expensive equipment.
But that couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact, DIY hand sanitizer is fairly easy to make. (You can do it right in your kitchen!) Plus, most of the ingredients in hand sanitizer can be found at your local health foods store.
Want to give it a shot and make hand sanitizer at home? We’ve got a simple recipe for you, as well as ingredients and supplies lists.
DIY Sanitizer: What You’ll Need
You really only need a few household items for making hand sanitizer, as well as containers. Supplies include:
- Large glass mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon or whisk
- Small funnel for filling bottles
- Hand sanitizer containers (like our travel-sized 2-ounce empty hand sanitizer bottles)
Ingredients for Homemade Sanitizer
You can find these ingredients at your local grocery store. They include:
- Aloe vera gel
- Rubbing alcohol (99% alcohol volume)
- Essential oils like lavender, basil or peppermint oil (optional)
Why Include Essential Oils?
Although essential oils do have health properties, their aromatics are the main reason you might want to include them in hand sanitizer. Lavender essential oil has a subtle, herbal scent, which lends itself nicely to DIY cosmetics.
Is Homemade Hand Sanitizer Effective?
Yes! But the key is the recipe. To be an effective germ-killer, hand sanitizer should have about 60% alcohol content. According to the CDC, that’s the minimum amount of alcohol required to kill bacteria and germs.
Easy, 3-Ingredient Hand Sanitizer Recipe
Make hand sanitizer in your kitchen with this super-simple recipe. Featuring just 3 ingredients, this recipe for hand sanitizer can be made in just about 10 minutes.
Time Required: 10 minutes
Yield: 20 2oz bottles
- 3 1/3 cup rubbing alcohol (99% alcohol content)
- 1 2/3 cup aloe vera gel
- 7-10 drops of lavender essential oil
Prior to starting, clean and disinfect the space you will be working in and thoroughly wash your hands.
Mix the ingredients into a large glass mixing bowl, and thoroughly stir them together using a clean spoon or whisk.
Carefully fill the empty sanitizer bottles. A small stainless steel kitchen funnel will come in handy.
Close lids and voila! You’ve made hand sanitizer at home!
Notes and Tips: DIY Hand Sanitizer
See, it’s super easy to make sanitizer. But there are a few helpful tips that will ensure each batch is germ-killing and effective.
- Keep The Space Clean – Avoid touching your hand sanitizer until it’s ready for use. This will prevent contamination.
- Wash Your Tools Thoroughly – Before and after making a batch of hand sanitizer, be sure you clean and sanitizer the bowl and whisk or spoon in the dishwasher.
- Make Sure It’s Well Blended – Whisk until the mixture is thoroughly blended. This will ensure you meet the proper ratio of alcohol-to-aloe.